Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Cave and I


From my experience with the different types of cultures, I’ve noticed that certain people care a lot about what people think of them.  I use to wonder why they cared so much about what others perceived of them, until I experienced it myself and didn’t care what other thought of me.  From the “excerpt from the republic” by Plato, people had their individual aspect on how to observe others, either to be ignorant of the truth and live comfortably or to live in the society of truth and to be rejected by peers and family.  My determination would be to live in a society of truth and be scorned by everyone.
                While growing up with different types of people with different type of cultures, I’ve learned that other people cared about what others thought of them because they didn’t want to have a bad reputation on themselves.  Growing up with friends that cared about what societies might think of them, made me realize that I rather be rejected from my truth than to constantly lie and live in an illusion.  Socrates stated that “is the power upon which he who would act rationally, either in public or private life must have his eye fixed.” In the opinion this statement meant that people who discriminate others in society should stop and realize what he can do to others in a negative way.
                Many times I’ve discovered some of my friends and cousins passing judgment about me or my family but never confronted them with the truth.   I felt that it would be disrespectful to talk back to elders and also I didn’t have to guts to confront my friends.  I thought about the consequence of losing my friends and them talking more negative things about me to others, also my cousins scorning me out of their family.  But in my belief I didn’t care about what others might perceive of me so I confronted my ex-friends about the truth, and confronted my cousin about the truth about me and my family. 
                Living in a cave in a society knowing my truth and being scorn by others will be my decision.  My conclusion to the outcome of confronting them was that I’ve realized who were my true friends and my cousins alienating me from their family. 
               
               

No comments:

Post a Comment