Monday, September 27, 2010

Blog 1 revised

                Plato’s text “allegory of the cave”, sums up that people that were prisoners in the cave, who lived there all there life has no idea about the reality of the world.  Those prisoners saw shadowy figures on the wall whenever other people walked in front of a light, but these prisoners weren’t allowed to look at what it was, because there were chains on their neck attached to their feet.   Plato’s metaphor is that these people had to choose to be scorn by others and live with the truth, or to be ignorant from the truth and live comfortably with an illusion, which played a role in Plato’s text “allegory of the cave”.  Being ignorant from the truth and live comfortably will best suit my life style.
                From my perspective, being rejected by others and not having anyone there for you can be very uncomfortable. Throughout my high school year, I had a rough time making friends because it was my first year in that school.  So in order for me to make friends at that time, I would lie about my childhood and my past so that people can be interested in me.  So at that time I’ve chose to live in a comfortable environment but be ignorant with the truth because, it made me make friends during my freshman year. I still chose to live comfortably and hide from the truth because I wouldn’t like to live in society where everyone rejects me.    But celebrities play a different role with ignorance of the truth and living in an illusion.  People care about what celebrities do and say, if one tells the truth about what their perspective is about others, in a matter of minute people will start to judge them and criticize them about their truth.  Celebrities maintain their status by not being ignorant of their truth to the society. For instance, Lady GaGa is a great example that didn’t maintained her status in the public view and has been scorn by tons of fans.
                Lady GaGa is one of the iconic views of the fashion industry.  She is best known of her crazy outfits and her music.  People loved her because of her style in music and how she represented herself.  Before her crazy act in the public arena, she signed a deal with MAC with Cyndi lauper which they will help raise funds to men, women and children’s who are suffering with AIDS and HIV all around the world.  So in my point of view, I thought she was a caring person who cared enough to help sick people around the world, and this helped her music industry bloom.  After she showed the people how caring she was, she didn’t maintain her status when she showed up at the New York Mets game on June 2010.  When she walked into the New York Mets arena, she walked into the VIP room where another celebrity name Seinfeld was in; she came in very rudely and showed her middle finger to her fans wearing the New York Yankees jersey.  After that incident, her fans scorned her and a lot of people are starting to reject her.  The New York Mets team players stated that they won’t allow her to come back to the stadium anymore and her fans from the stadium booed her. 
                To live comfortably and live with the ignorant of the truth was my decision when I was making friends during my high school years.  But Lady GaGa was living in an illusion just so she can maintain her status, but now is living from the truth and being rejected by some society and being hated by some of her fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment